Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Great idea from Brian

One of our subscribers, Brian, e-mailed me this tip:

I just thought you might like a story with regard to pre-judging a prospect.

Two of my colleagues were recently made redundant, so I sent them recruiting videos and said that I would call later to see what they thought.

Both said, "No." They were looking for proper jobs, but a daughter of one was looking over her father's shoulder and asked, "Why can't I do it, Dad?"

My reply was, "You can." And now she is off to a flying start, having retailed more in her first month than I did when I started.

We all make too many assumptions on whom to approach. The simple answer is to approach everyone you can think of.

I also sent the recruiting video to a colleague who, like me, wasn't let go. He joined and is starting a group in Scotland.